Mantra of the day - Sat 26/7/14

This mantra isn't exactly one that I've been solely focussed on, it's more of one that I've been working on ever since I started reading up about Buddhism. 


~ What are my motives? ~



I've found that 'motive' is a recurring subject in books and articles on Buddhism, and it's what I have decided for myself is a vital step in me adopting a Buddhist life. I have not found it easy though. 

My interpretation of this question/mantra is that everything you do or say has a motive. In someways this is linked to my last mantra: take 3 seconds. In these 3 (or however many) seconds, ask yourself why? why are you doing or saying this? What I want my answer to be is that my motive is either to benefit everyone, or avoid causing unnecessary pain or harm to any living thing. 

Of course this takes a lot of practise; to first take the time and identify your motive, then having the control to either adjust it or stop yourself from acting upon 'wrong' motives. It takes a lot to master this practise. Because what it asks is not just to do or say that 'right' thing, but to have the intention to do so. 

I don't know if I'm making this complicated or difficult to understand, so here's an example that I think might help: 




I decided a couple of years ago to cut my hair and donate what I could to a charity that made wigs for children with cancer. Of course, at first I thought that my motive was that I wanted to help these children in need and make their suffering a little less. But then when I look back on it, another possible motive was that I wanted other people to think better of me, that I wanted to make myself feel better or that I just wanted to get some good karma. These are 'wrong' motives. 

And now I'm actually unsure of what my motive was cause it was quite a while ago, I like to think that it was purely for the benefit of those children. But in this world your image is so focussed on, and people become blinded by what they want other people to think of them, that I question myself. 

I think that this is why this question is so difficult. Because sometimes you are unsure as to your exact motive. However, I believe that the more I practise Buddhist ways and read different books and websites, and speak to other Buddhists that I will eventually begin to understand it better, and be able to decipher my own motives.




Hope this made more sense that I think it does....!





xxxx



0 comments:

Post a Comment